Blues Media: Radio and Magazines
The original blues is a wonderfully broad genre that presents opportunities for musical, cultural, historical and blues media appreciation. But the reality is, blues music does not receive the airtime or media attention is deserves—in part because the public isn’t aware that these platforms exist. Same goes for blues publications, which offer a wealth of knowledge and deserve wider circulation.
We have started the process of sharing true life stories of blues artists with the publication of the biographies The Original Rolling Stone: The Travelin’ Riverside Blues of Eugene Powell and The Life and Legend of Mississippi Matilda: Blues Songstress of the Delta. A third book in the Riverside Blues Series is slated for publication in the near future, titled America’s Unbeatable Musicians: The Original Masters of the Mississippi Riverside Blues.
We intend to publish more stories of under-appreciated musicians from the late 1800s through the mid-1900s. Eugene’s stage name was Sonny Boy Nelson.
Below are links that help point blues students, scholars and fans to media resources, including blues radio stations, programming and playlists, as well as magazines, publications and blogs. Enjoy!
Blues Media — Magazines
- National Magazines: Mary4Music.com is a large site filled with blues music news and engaging information.
- Blues Publications: The Blues Search Engine is another excellent resource for researching blues-related topics.
- North American Blues Magazines: North American Blues is another large site that endeavors to keep blues music alive.
Do you know of other magazines, periodicals or publications specializing in blues topics? If so, contact us and we’ll add them to our directory.
Blues Media — Blogs
- Blue Lisa Blues: Blue Lisa blogs about the Texas Music Scene
- Deep Blues: Enjoy links to blues music, blues artists and events
- Blues Search Engine: Find links to half a dozen blues blogger
- Leon J’s Roots Blues Blog: This site hasn’t been updated since 2013, but the articles are great!
Do you follow other blues blogs? Let us know about them and we’ll include them in the directory.
Radio and Playlists
- BlueBeat – Birth of the Blues Playlist: Blue Beat Music provides playlists, artists and genre information.
- Blues-Friendly Radio Worldwide: Mary4Music.com provides state links to blues radio programming.
- Blues Music Fan: A 24/7 radio station and blog
- Sunday Blues: Big Road Blues streams live on the web.
If you know of other radio stations and playlist featuring the blues, contact us and we’ll add them to our directory.
For information on Blues history, click here.
Sunny Southern Productions endeavors to identify helpful blues media and entertainment platforms for enjoyment by fans and scholars. If you would like to recommend additional resources, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll update the page.